This is part of the work on the Principles of Gorean Thought – A Primer
7) Ideal Qualities in a Gorean Male
Below are a few which immediately come to mind.
You will note that the intricacies of “morality” are left entirely out of the picture, as well they should be. “Morality” is dependent upon cultural rules and religious beliefs, whereas the ideal character of the consummate Gorean male seems to be found across all Gorean cultures and walks of life.
Therefore, according to the list below, both Tarl Cabot (hero to millions) and Surbus (nasty murdering pirate from book 6) fit the bill of the consummate Gorean male architype equally.
Which seems to me to be an indication that one does not have to be “a nice guy” to be Gorean. In fact, one can even be a total brute, hated and despised by others. Whether or not one is a pleasant fellow to hang out with is something that is determined after the fact; one qualifies for Gorean male FIRST, before any such decision is rendered.
Here is my personal list, in no particular order:
- Strength, both physical and mental.
- Endurance, both physical and mental.
- Understanding of the natural order of things, as he sees it.
- Willingness to maintain the natural order of things, as he sees it.
- Self-sacrifice in order to maintain the natural order of things, as he sees it.
- Suspicion towards what is alien; replaced over time with devotion to what has proved itself worthy to be included within his lexicon and world view.
- Pragmatism, and willingness to accept the truth despite his personal agenda.
- An overall love of life, and willingness to rush headlong into the living of it, draining each moment to its dregs, making no excuses and being the consummate male in all respects.
- The refusal to bow before anyone or anything which is weaker than he.
Copyright © 2006, 2002, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996. Marcus of Ar. All rights reserved.
©2020 by Azrael Phoenix